Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary Coorg Entry Fee
- 75 per person at Checkpost
Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary Coorg Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 46 reviews
Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary Coorg Address: Subramanya Road, Kumarahalli, Karnataka, 571236, India
Experience nature in its full swing at Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary. A place that is widely famous for featuring an abundant variety of flora and fauna along with mind-blowing peaks, the Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary is amongst the 21 wildlife sanctuaries in Karnataka that follows a sustainable approach to preserving the endangered bird species from different parts of the world.
Located in Mandalpatti, the sanctuary, surrounded by lush greenery and dense trees, boasts a rare species of plants and animals with other bird species that are found only in this region. Kumara Parvatha, which is the second-highest peak in Karnataka, is the main highlight here. You can also look over the Mallalli Falls and Mandalpatti Peak in this sanctuary to make the most of your visit.
Tourists who visit Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary love it for its adventurous trekking trails and natural attractions. There is no doubt Coorg is the favorite destination of trekkers and places like the Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary make it even more tempting.
If you are on your Coorg tour, make sure to include this place in your itinerary list as it is worth exploring. You can easily spend hours here seeing the exotic plants and animals.
Flora and Fauna of Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Coorg
As the Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary is located in a dense forest, it is covered with evergreen trees ranging from orchids to wildflowers, and tiny herbs. This reserve forest provides shelter to a variety of exotic animals, making it one of the most attractive locations for nature lovers, as well as, those looking to explore the wildlife of Coorg.
A few of the popular animal species you will find here are Spotted Deer, Wild Pig, Giant Squirrel, Gaur, Sambar, Asian Elephant, and the list goes on. Not only animals, but the sanctuary is home to India’s rare bird species, some of which are specific to this area. To name a few, you can spot Orange Flycatcher, Nilgiri Flycatcher, Grey-Breasted Laughing Thrush, etc. King Cobra, rat, and other variants of snakes can also be found here. The Nilgiri Pigeon is the most beautiful attraction here.
Other species of birds that have made this place their home include Malabar Trogon, Dollar Bird, White Cheeked Barbet, Indian Blue Robin, Greater FlameBack Woodpecker, Malabar Grey Hornbill, Sri Lankan Frogmouth, and many more.
You won’t find the endangered bird species anywhere else in Coorg or any part of South India other than this sanctuary. That simply means that it is important to bring your camera every time you visit it to capture these beauties.
Things to do at Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Coorg
1. Trekking: Try your hand at a challenging trekking trail to Kumara Parvatha, which is a popular peak in the district and is widely known to attract tourists (especially trekkers) in large numbers every year.
To reach the peak, you would have to go through dense vegetation, lush green forests, volcanic rocks, and an extensive variety of flora and fauna. The best thing about this adventurous activity here is that it can be enjoyed by both beginners and experts as the trekking route gives an equal level of thrilling experience to everyone.
2. Photography: Heaven for photographers, the Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary features several endangered species of birds, animals, and a wonderful variety of evergreen trees that give you perfect shots.
The images of Shola Grasslands and beautiful Western Ghats are something that will make you fall in love with this place over and over again. Plus, some animals that visit the sanctuary occasionally and the colorful birds that live in these dense forests are a few famous things to capture here.
3. Wildlife Safari: The next exciting thing to do here in the sanctuary is the wildlife adventure safari. It’s also one of the major reasons why a trip to Pushpagiri is on everyone's bucket list. A safari tour in an open jeep will take you through the dense forests covered with an exclusive variety of fauna.
You will also spot wild pigs, gaurs, elephants, deer, mongooses, and other animals. People of all ages, including children, can try a safari tour. It gives you a golden opportunity to enjoy the wilderness of the place safely.
4. Camping: While most tourists plan a long-day trekking trip to the sanctuary, some may want to stay here overnight. No matter how much time you stay here, it will not be enough to take in the beauty of the surroundings and capture every rare bird species. Girigadde is a good camping spot for tourists planning an overnight stay in the sanctuary. You must carry your own sleeping bag and food. Wake up early for the sunrise view.
Entry Fee and Timings of Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Coorg
The Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary is open for its tourists from 5:30 AM to 5:00 PM every day. For those who are planning to stay overnight, you can camp somewhere near the sanctuary so that you can come back in the morning before sunrise. There is an entry fee of INR 75 per person that you have to pay at the check post. Camping will cost you an additional fee.
Travel Tips to Visit Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Coorg
- Do not go close to the dense vegetation as the forest is home to many reptiles.
- Do not eat anything before starting the uphill drive. It can trigger motion sickness.
- Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes to make the most of your trek to the sanctuary.
- Always carry good quality sunscreen, raincoats, umbrellas, hats, and other seasonal items along with you. You never know when the weather gets extremely hot or windy.
- Refrain from throwing the plastic waste here and there. As an Indian citizen, it is our responsibility to keep the environment clean and green.
- Do not forget to bring your own water bottle to keep yourself hydrated throughout the time. Also, it is recommended to pack some light snacks as well as there are no eateries available within the premises of the sanctuary.
- In case you’re interested in trekking, you need to take permission from the respective forest officers in writing.
- Check whether the forest is open before visiting as it tends to remain closed in summer due to the high risk of a forest fire.
- Make sure to buy an HD camera whenever you plan a visit to this reserve forest. The Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary offers numerous opportunities to capture the amazing shots of flora and fauna here. You can click as many pictures as you want to cherish your visit for a lifetime.
- The route to Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary is a bit steep, making it a little difficult to travel for people suffering from neck and back pain. If you are using a jeep or car for a ride, drive slowly and carefully.
Best time to Visit Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Coorg
Winter is the ideal season to explore the Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary. The forest is open and with the monsoon ending, the temperature gets normal and the weather feels lovely. The months between November and March make a perfect time for tourists to explore the sanctuary to its fullest. The average temperature at this time ranges between 12-degree Celsius to 24-degree Celsius.
How to reach Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Coorg?
The Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Northern Coorg. It is a 3 to 4-hour drive ride from the nearest railway station in Mysore. You can either hire a cab from the list of top car rental companies in Coorg to enjoy a hassle-free commute or simply choose to self-drive from there (if you enjoy driving). Usually, people don’t face any problems in driving to the sanctuary. But, as mentioned earlier, the uphill drive can get exhausting. Hence, it’s best to hire a driver to ensure a safe and comfortable journey. This reserve forest is located at a distance of only 25 km from Madikeri.
Another convenient way to reach Coorg is via bus. There are several public and private buses that operate on a regular basis from Bangalore to Madikeri and it takes nearly 6 hours to cover the entire distance. From Madikeri, one can opt for travel by local transport to get to the sanctuary with ease. So, what are you waiting for? It’s time to pack your bags and head to this wonderful spot for a fantastic time with your family and friends.
If you need any help with your Coorg tour, you can get in touch with us. We at Coorg Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, carefully design a variety of all-inclusive Coorg tour packages that can be customized according to everyone’s varied holiday needs. Depending on your getaway duration, you can also ask our team of professionals to create an itinerary that helps you cover the best tourist attractions in Coorg, whether you’re traveling for 1-day, 2-days, or 3-days. To know more about our services, we request you to fill out the Contact Us form.